Plato's Allegory in the Cave

In Plato's allegory in the cave, there were people stuck in a cave. One person breaks free from this cave and steps out into the light. Since they are not used to the light their eyes burn and they go back into the cave and they have to readjust to the darkness. Every step of the way is very painful for this person. After hearing my classmate's discussing it, I believe that it is about change. To me and many other people, change is one of the scariest things in life, and it happens everyday. For example, I have grown up in an Asian household, and most of my family got really pushy about me becoming a doctor, a nurse, a lawyer, or an engineer. However, I wanted to break out of that and become an artist. All my life I have and will always aspire to become a great artist. I want to create my own stories and animate something of my own. It really is what I want to do. When my family found out about this, it was definitely hard to adjust for them because I know that they really want what's "best" for me, and they think that getting a job with at least an $100,000 salary is the only way for me to strive in life. Another example is when I transitioned from middle school to high school. In middle school, I had a great group of friends that I loved. We had our ups and downs, but we still stuck together. That school and those friends were all I've ever known for eleven years of my life, so when I had to go to John Carroll, I was really sad. When I first got there and met some friends, I was still really miserable there because I kept comparing them to my old friends. But after a while, I adjusted and was really happy with the friends I made, and I am excited to make new friends, new memories, and instead of being completely scared of change, I've learned to accept it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountability

Assignment #1

Rome, Rome, Rome, Rome